Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Ogecha is 'Intentionally Woman'


After the song ‘Intentionally Woman’ came out, it took me a few days to listen to it. Not because I had heard something damaging about it but because I was stuck in the euphoria of ‘Dumimaja’ Ogecha’s previous hit song. I didn’t want to listen to something new that might sway me from the music of one of the happiest people I had ever had a chance to converse with.

Regardless, I had a listen. Oh boy was I swayed! I immediately felt the need for me to stand up to my feet at attention and give a salute like I would an anthem, till the music was done playing. Absolutely remarkable I thought.

I believe that one of the greatest gifts a musical artist has been given, is the ability to create something their audience aren’t expecting but in a way need, so it’s almost serendipity once the audience listens to the musical creation speaking to their needs.

Basically, ‘Intentionally woman’ is a simple charge, or call to arms if you will for women and just everyone  who has the good sense to understand the depth of the music really.

The intimate beginning of the music and her voice doesn’t prepare you for the fullness of her singing that comes through at the bridge and chorus that just comes out so unexpectedly boisterous and then it filters back to that intimate beginning.

A rhythmic showstopper, the instrumentation is something to be commended as it just opens up like a flower, almost has you feeling like your ears are in a caress.

It sings thus “takes only one step to be who you want to be and shine…shine, intentionally woman”

It’s a conscious call for all to choose their own path, it speaks on the tough nature of existing in a world where women haven’t been given so much but it doesn't come off as a sad, pity us piece or even an overly angry feminist piece. it comes off as a ray of sunshine, that initial spark of strength.
It’s a simple word to the wise woman to come through all the hurt, pain, bitterness, anger and such and be who she is meant to be for herself.


Intentionally Happy, Intentionally human and intentionally woman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment